I am inspired by memories and a sense of history.
Wherever I travel, down a local lane or across a continent, images
from an earlier time call out to me. Nostalgia is everywhere. I look
around and see art in both the natural and human-built heritages that
give us a strong sense of permanence.
With each stroke of my brush, heart-warming memories find their way
into my work. I use a variety of media, which I choose according to
the subject matter and the feeling it inspires: Watercolour, oil, acrylic,
pastel and mixed media. My work is representational in style and drawn
from a wide range of subject matter, with a strong influence from the
On canvas, I explore my yearnings for
other times. I pay close attention to colour harmonies and use the
paint unfettered by the colour constraints of a realistic scene.
The unifying element, which gives shape to the visions of my paintings,
comes from my fascination with the contrast between light patterns
and dark passages. It is deeply satisfying for me when my work connects
the fine, memorable experiences of my life to a viewer who remembers,
I’ve been there, or I used to go there when I was a child.
Then my paintings become a way for my audience and I to meander down a few
nostalgic roads of bygone days together.
Weathered Hands Have Worked These Lands
was born in New Westminster and grew up in Richmond. He became a Chartered
Accountant in 1964, was elected a Fellow (FCA) by the Chartered Accountants
of BC in 1992, has been in public practice in Surrey, British Columbia
since 1964 and is a partner in the firm of McMurray, Roberts, Heming & Wyborn.
Bob considered a career as a commercial artist in high school
but opted instead for the business world. After establishing his practice
as Chartered Accountant he renewed his interest in oil painting, attending
night school classes given by Alexander Sutherland in 1973. Bob has
been influenced by the works of Edward Hopper and Robert Genn and has
worked in watercolour since attending the Federation Workshop on Saltspring
Island in 1986 and subsequent years. He completed the Federation Foundation
Courses in the 90's, returned to oils and other media and was elected
to Signature status (AFCA) by the Federation of Canadian Artists in
Bob has been actively involved in the community and has held various offices
as a volunteer for the City of Surrey, the Federation of Canadian Artists, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia and the Hamber Foundation. Bob's
paintings are in a number of private and corporate collections in Canada
Friends, Competitive Adventures
- Federation Gallery - 1241 Cartwright Street, Granville Island, Vancouver,
- D'Or Art Consultants, Vancouver, BC., Tel: 604.732.7533 (www.dorart.com)
- Cherry Blossom Festival, Vancouver, BC (2007)
- Art Force (2007)
- Burnaby Art Gallery (2006)
- Western Art Circle (2006, 2003)
- Art Focus (2004)
- Richard Major Art Group, Burnaby, BC (2004)
- Garibaldi Art Society, Maple Ridge, BC (2004, 2001)
- Richmond Artists Guild/Art Council (2005, 2002, 2000)
- Port Moody Art Association (2002)
- South Delta Artists Guild (2006, 2002)
- White Rock and South Surrey Art Society - White
Rock, BC (2001, 1997).
- Arts West, Surrey, BC (2006, 2001)
- Inlet View Art Club,
Port Coquitlam, BC (2001)
- West Vancouver Sketch Club (2000)
- Richmond Artists Guild - Richmond, BC (2000).
- Western Light Art Society - Vancouver, BC (1997).
- Artists in Action, Federation Gallery - Vancouver, BC (1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995).
- Squamish Art Group - Squamish, BC. (1995)
- White Rock Summer School of the Arts - Arnie
Westerman (2004); Mary Todd Beame,
Polly Hammett, Carol Orr and Carla O'Connor (1996, 1997, 1999).
- Annual Island Workshops sponsored
by the Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) featuring numerous prominent
American and Canadian instructors (1986 - 1993 and 1999-2001).
- Four-year FCA Foundation Course Program completed
with Great Distinction (1993 - 1997).
- Langley Arts Workshop - an artist support group
(1975 - 1980).
- Night school classes with Alexander Sutherland, White Rock, BC
(1973 - 1975).
- Calgary, AB – Watercolour
- Courtenay-Comox, BC – Watercolour
- Crescent Beach, Surrey,
BC – Introductory
Drawing, Introductory Watercolour (2000)
- Nanaimo, BC – Watercolour
- North Vancouver, BC – Introductory
Drawing, Intermediate Acrylic (2003); Basic Collage, Oil/Acrylic
Painting, Oil Colour Mixing, Introductory Oil, Intermediate Oil
(2001); Basic Watercolour; Basic Oil; Basic Collage, Beginners
Landscape in Oil, Drawing Perspective (2000); Colour Mixing in
Oil and Acrylic; Water Soluble Oil and Mediums; Oil Glazing (1999).
- Oliver, BC – Colour
Harmonies in Oil (2000)
- Port Moody, BC – Watercolour
- Saltspring Painters Guild – Painting
in Oils, Acrylic Like Oils (2003)
- Summerland, BC – Oil
Painting Techniques (2000)
- Vancouver, BC (FCA Workshops) – Introductory
Watercolour, Introductory Collage/Mixed Media (2004); Still LIfe
- Vancouver, B. C. - Radical Games Inc./Vivendi (2004 - 2007) a series of workshops in drawing, watercolour and acrylics.
- Gibsons, B. C. - Gibsons Summer School of the Arts (2005) Landscape in Acrylics
- Langley, B. C. - Port Kells Art Club (2005) oil and acrylics
- Montaigut le Blanc, France - Capilano College (2005) three-weeks iin Drawing, Watercolour, Oils and Acrylics
- Kelowna, B. C. - Kelowna Chapter, FCA (2006) Oils and Acrylics like Oils
- Vancouver, B. C. - FCA Workshop (2007) five weeks Oils and Acrylics
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Various articles, Opus Newsletter (2006, 2005, 2004, 2002)
- Feature article, "Colour for the Colour Challenged",
International Artist Magazine, Vol 25, June-July (2002)
- Master Painters of the World, International
Artist Magazine, Vol 14, August-September (2000)
- Various articles - FCA News Magazine (1985-2007)
- Article published by
American Artist magazine in "Watercolor'95",
Premier Winter Edition (1995)
- Various presentations and workshops on artists
and income taxes
- Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design (2007, 2006, 2005)
- West Vancouver Cultural Services, Ferry Building (2006, 2005)
- Surrey Arts Centre (2007, 2006, 2005)
- Kwantlen College (2007)
- East Side Cultural Crawl (2006)
- Canadian Writers Association (2006)
- City of North Vancouver (2004)
- Alice Rich Seminar (2004)
- G10 Life Study Group, Delta Firehall Gallery;
Delta, BC (2006, 2004, 2003)
- AIM International Open
Juried Show, "Tales
of Tidal Pools" (2000)
- Voyages of Inspiration Group Shows:
– On Nova Scotia: Zwickers Gallery, Halifax, NS and Stephen
Lowe Gallery, Calgary, AB (2002-2003)
– On Haida
Gwaii, Stephen Lowe Gallery, Calgary, AB; Federation Gallery, Vancouver,
BC; Birthplace of BC Gallery, Fort Langley, BC (2000-2001)
- FCA Medal Show, "Read, Set, Boat" (2000)
- Open International Juried Exhibit, Northwest Watercolour Society
- Seattle, Washington (1998)
- Waterworks Annual Members Juried Exhibit, Northwest
Watercolor Society - Seattle, Washington (1997)
- 7th Street International Exhibit, International
Artists Support Group - Washington, DC (1997)
- Participated in White
Rock and South Surrey Arts Society Annual Juried Exhibits (1997, 1996)
- Numerous juried exhibitions with the Federation
of Canadian Artists (FCA) - Vancouver, BC (1979 to date.
- Part of a four-artist exhibitions at the Federation
Gallery - Vancouver, BC (1998, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1990)
1975 - 1980
- Two-artist exhibition at Heritage House Gallery - Langley, BC
- Various group exhibitions with Langley Arts Workshop - Langley,
- Solo exhibition at Ocean Park Library - Surrey, BC
- White Rock and South Surrey Arts Society Annual Juried Exhibitions
- White Rock, BC
- Surrey/White Rock "Spirit Bears In The City" program, People's Choice Award, Habitat Bear (2006)
- Federation of Canadian
Artists, Painting on the Edge, Jim Spilsbury Award, "Reliable Friend" (2003)
- Federation of Canadian
Artists, Winter Juried Show, Tim Yan Chan Award, "Journey's
- Federation of Canadian
Artists, Winter Juried Exhibition, Third Place, "Winter
on the Slough" (1988)
- Federation of Canadian
Artists, Associated Graphics Award: Associated Graphics Award: "It's Miller Time" (1999)
- White Rock and South
Surrey Art Society; Best Painting - "When the Sun Comes" (1997); Best
Watercolour - "A Mixed Up Love" (1996)
- Several honourable mentions (1975 to 1980)
paintings used by the City of Surrey for Christmas cards and one
for Annual Report Cover (1995 - 1996).
- Burnaby Lake Greenhouses
- CIBC/Wood Gundy
- Canada Life
- Dr. J. C. McIvor Inc.
- Finning (International)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of BC
- Ledcor Group
- MacMillan Tucker & Mackie
- Pro Pilot Services Ltd
- Federation of Canadian Artists - Vancouver BC.
- Northwest Watercolor Society - Seattle, Washington.
- G 10 Life Study Group - Surrey, BC.
- White Rock and South Surrey Art Society - White Rock, BC.
Commissions accepted. Available for painting demonstrations, workshops,
jurying and critiques.
Contacting the Artist
Contact Robert McMurray
if you would like to receive an invitation to future exhibitions;
or, to discuss a professional consultation on the subject of "Income
Tax Rules and Regulations for Artists".
Contact Robert by
email at: email@example.com
535-5069 (H) or (604) 230-5930 (Cel)
More Work by Robert H. McMurray